Last Updated on
If you love to play table tennis or ping pong, then you need to have a sturdy ping pong table in your life. The question though is, how to make a ping pong table? Sure, you can go to the nearest sports shop and hunt the perfect table down, or you can also choose to DIY it. If you are looking to build a ping pong table, you need to look at the basics first.
The Top Things You Need When You Want to Make a Ping Pong Table
Did you have a indoor ping pong table? But you want to make own ping pong table can be intensely satisfying as you will feel as a sense of achievement. If you are worried that a homemade ping pong table will not be able to withstand a lot of practice, then do not because this tutorial will teach you the best way to construct a ping pong table at home.
Here is a list of all the things that you need to get hold of first.
- Find the right color surface for your table
- Decide on the thickness you are looking for
- Birchwood for the table
- Scissor, drill and cutters
- An apron to take care of the dirt
- Sheet for the top of the board
- Find a ping pong table cover
How to make a Ping Pong Table ?
Are you ready to build a ping pong table? Follow these steps and you will find yourself loving the process.
- Step 1: Ideally, you should use Baltic birchwood in order to make your ping pong table. One of the primary advantages of using this material is that it is available in sheets that measure 5 feet by 5 feet which make it easy for you to craft ping pong table dimensions of 5 feet by 9 feet.
However, you might find that Baltic birchwood requires a special order at your nearest shops. They should be able to ship it for you very soon. Once you have it, inquire if they will cross cut it for you. In case the answer if affirmative, ask them to cross cut the plywood at 4 feet 6 inches.
- Step 2: If you have a bought a regular sized sheet, then you need to begin by cutting 6 inches off both the pieces of plywood that you have. Make sure that you have a brand new blade in your circular saw or else the cut can become rough and uneven. Put a tape on the side of the table where you will cut the plywood to maintain smooth sides.
Once you are done, you will have a simple ping pong table ready. You will just need to purchase two sawhorses and two 2*4*8s in order to give the plywood an appropriate shape. Do not forget the net; you will get it at any departmental store with sport equipment nearby.
- Step 3: However, if you want to experiment more with design, then you can go the extra mile. You can start with building one half in order to map out your basic design. Using plenty of bracing will help to prevent plywood cupping or warping in the near future. Poplar is a popular choice for bracing and you should cut it in the dimensions 1 by 2, which actually measures ¾ an inch and a half. You can buy poplar from your nearest lumber store.
- Step 4: At first, you need to mark the points where you will have to drill the holes. It is best to keep an inch and a half overhang on the table when doing so. You can create a jig and cut it at the inch and a half mark. When you attach the 1 by 2 holding that flush, it will create the appropriate overhand. In order to understand where you need the holes, cut another piece of plywood accordingly. Your goal should be to ensure that the screws are hidden by the 1 by 2. A good drill will make it much easier to drill your holes smoothly.
- Step 5: While cutting your first 1 by 2, you need to ensure that your apron is an inch and a half on the underside of the table. Use a jig in order to align the wood and then drag a miter cut all along the length. Now, you can attach the 1 by 2 to the top of the ping pong table with a screw. Once both the pieces are attached, you need to fix the bracing at the back of the table.
- Step 6: Once this is complete, feel free to turn the table in order to finish the work. You need to attach the last piece of 1 by 2 at the head of the ping pong tabletop. It should have a miter on each end. Use your circular saw to do the needful. Make sure to use the same jig or else your spacing might become uneven.
That is all that you need to do. Now you know how to build a ping pong table the easy way!
- Step 7: Now, cut a few pieces of 1 by 2 that measure about 32 inches which can be the long point of the miter. These pieces need to be glued and nailed to the apron. You can also add a last piece of bracing on the ping pong table if you have the extra material available. It should measure close to 40 inches and can be attached with the help of some nails and wood glue.
- Step 8: You can now move your focus to creating plugs that will be able to fill the holes you have created on the tabletop. Mind you, the plugs need to look aesthetic as they as a key design element of the table. Mahogany is a great choice for making these plugs. Once you drill the plugs with a special bit, you will be able to separate them out rather easily with just a screwdriver. Hammer down the plugs with some glue and allow them to dry down. Use a pull saw to cut off the plug flush with the tabletop. Before you add the finishing touches, also sand both sides of the table with the help of 150 grit silicon carbide sandpaper.
- Step 9: A ping pong table should look vibrant and welcoming. Use a tape in order to paint the borders in any colour of your choice. You should also add three coats of polyurethane on the table top, sanding it between each coat. Now all you have to do is it attach the two tops with the help of a piano hinge. Attach a net and you will be good to go.
During this DIY, keep in mind that the end result will not be a foldable ping pong table that you will be able to store away for extra space. That aside, it will be a great addition to your house! Did you enjoy our tutorial on how to make a ping pong table? Let us know below! Gosports Reviews