Table of Contents
- 1 Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Ping Pong Conversion Tops in the Market
- 2 Why should You buy a Table Tennis Conversion Top?
- 3 5 Best Table Tennis Conversion Tops
- 4 Popular Types of Conversion Tops available on The Market:
- 5 Things to Consider While buying Table Tennis Conversion Tops:
- 6 Conclusion:
Are you throwing a party and wish to entertain your guests with some games like table tennis or ping pong? Do you have compact living spaces that do not allow you to buy a table tennis table and play your favorite sport? Are you finding ways to get a portable table tennis top and play the exciting game occasionally?
If so, the answer to all your problems is “Table Tennis Conversion Top”. It is a portable table tennis top also known as ping pong pool table combo that can be installed on a dining table or pool table to make a temporary table tennis playing area. And trust me, I too suffered from the same problem but with my decision to buy a table tennis conversion top, I have a full-fledged playroom in the limited area.
If you love the idea of table tennis and are curious to know more, let us discuss some amazing facts about these conversion tops in detail. I have been using these tops for long and in this time have come through a lot of varieties that suit individual needs. Let me share my knowledge and help you know about best table tennis conversion tops.
Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Ping Pong Conversion Tops in the Market
|Martin Kilpatrick "Best Choice"||132 pounds||3/4"||4.8/5|
|JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top||115 lbs||15mm||4.6/5|
|Convertible Table Tennis Top||105 pounds||1/2"||4.4/5|
|PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top||115 lbs||15mm||4.5/5|
|Viper Portable Table Tennis Top "Best for Kids"||42 pounds||1/4''||4.1/5|
Why should You buy a Table Tennis Conversion Top?
If table tennis is your sort of sport but you do not have space to accommodate the huge table tennis table, conversion top come as a handy solution. These table tops are specially designed to help you build a makeshift table tennis playing area and cater to your passion for table tennis. It can be installed on a pool table, room table or dining table and is best to play a smashing ping pong match in any room of your home.
Inexpensive & affordable:
Usually, table tennis conversion tops are cheaper than regular full-size table tennis tables. So, when you buy one, you save a great amount of money to splurge on other needs.
Save space in your room:
Again, as they are compact, they also save a huge amount of space in your room if you live in a packed in the apartment. This makes them perfect for a party game time or for recreational time with family and friends.
Easy to store:
Contrary to the full-size table tennis tables that are tough to store; these conversion tops take minimum storage space. One can store these items separately and save enough storage space in garage or basements.
Quick to assemble:
Usually, conversion tops are sold in two pieces that must be set together on top of any table. You need to buy ping pong paddles and balls separately.
Easy solution for indoor play area:
You can play a game of table tennis and ping pong on a conversion top and enjoy your indoor playing area in a limited space. Now you can extend your play area and enjoy a great playtime with these table tennis conversion tops.
5 Best Table Tennis Conversion Tops
There is no doubt that Table Tennis Conversion tops are best when you want a quick fix for your gaming needs but lack enough space. They are inexpensive and save a lot of storage space. Ideal as a gift, these table tops can be bought as per the availability of table (pool or dining) and space. Keep the above-mentioned considerations in mind and buy the best table tennis conversion tops to play a match of table tennis.
Table conversion tops have become quite popular lately and the market today is full of many varieties. While having choices is good, having too many of them can be intimidating. To help you out, I have made a list of 5 Best Table Tennis Conversion Tops that you may consider buying. So, here they go:
#1. JOOLA Conversion Table Tennis Top with Foam Backing and Net Set
If you have a billiards table and are considering converting it quickly into a table tennis table, this foam-padded pool table top is the best you can get. Manufactured and marketed by Joola, this conversion top comes in two halves, each padded with a thick layer of EVA foam to prevent any scratches or other potential harm to your expensive pool table.
Available in standard size, the table measures 108 x 60 x 0.6 inches and weighs around 1.2 pounds. It was the best gift I ever bought for my twins on their birthday as now they have extended playroom to enjoy their favorite game- ping pong. Let’s discuss the pros and cons of this product:
- It has a 5/8” thick fibre board built combined with a padding of cushiony EVA foam, which is ideal for your billiard tables.
- It comes in two halves which are easy to install and with the protective foam layer, you can rest assures of no harm to your equipment.
- Painted with Charcoal Black color, the conversion top appears clean and sleek.
- It comes with a custom net set which makes it a handy purchase. The set does not touch the surface and has a net-tensioning system to attain tautness.
- It is apt for any billiard table with 8 feet in length, so if you have a higher table, it might be not the best choice.
- The packaging of the product is not great; you may expect a slightly damaged product in delivery.
#2. Martin Kilpatrick with 3 Year Warranty
Martin Kilpatrick Pool Conversion Table Top is exactly what experts’ claim –the best conversion table top. The product includes a two-fold top paired with protection rail set, foam pads, and a net set. It is a complete package if you are too busy to buy these things separately.
My friend has one at his home and we prefer playing without the rails. It increases the play area. But, when playing with kids, the rails are a good protection aid. Like every other product in the market, it has its own advantages and pitfalls; here are a few of them:
- Perfect in size- 108 x 60 x 2.2 inches, it is a great solution for compact-homes play areas.
- The two-fold, foam padded pool table conversion top comes with a 3-year warranty, which makes it a wise purchase.
- You get choices of colors- Grey, Blue or Green, so, you can choose the best according to your choice or décor.
- You get everything- the board, net set, protection rail and EVA foam padding, what else is required.
- It comes with Dovetail Connecting System which prevents the table from folding.
- Though it offers exceptional quality, the high price makes it a little out of reach.
- The table top is weak when it comes to screwing connectivity or glue packaging like in the net set or foam padding.
#3. PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top with Accessory Kit
The PureX Table Tennis Conversion Top has an impressive price for the complete package it offers. But considering the high-level of craftsmanship & the finesse makes it a much loveable product amid ping pong enthusiast. The box includes not only the two-fold top but also foam padding (in shape of support blocks), net set, paddles, three balls and a competition clamp. Indeed it is a price worth paying for such a set of goodies.
I would personally recommend the product if you (adults) are fond of playing ping pong. Fir children; it would be a pricey possession and will demand a lot of care and supervision. Here are some pros & cons of this product worth considering:
- The top comes in a standard size- 108 x 60, 15mm thick and fits an 8’ pool table perfectly.
- The foam padding is sufficient to keep your expensive pool table safe and scratch less.
- Offered with a one year warranty, the table top is an excellent example of craftsmanship.
- It is heavy & sturdy inbuilt which make it a durable choice.
- Over the top prices makes it stand out from the rest products offering similar features but at a decent price.
- Too heavy for a portable tennis table top. You will need extra hands to pick this top and install it.
#4.Viper Portable Table Tennis Top
The Viper Portable are exactly what makes your play area perfect for adults and children, both. You can play ping pong as well as chess, checkers or backgammons on this table top as you get them free with the package. Made with expertise, the table is sturdy and you can install it in a jiffy.
If you have a big family like mine, you must consider investing in this table because it offers many things at a decent price. The best part is it fits a variety of tables including traditional dining tables, pool tables, kitchen islands and more. Let’s check out some more features of this product:
- As the name suggests it is a tri-fold conversion table top which is very swift to install. One minute you open it and the other you are all set to play,
- Like mentioned above, it sits perfectly on a variety of surfaces so you can play wherever you want.
- It comes in a package including a net set, two paddles, two table tennis balls, and a carrying case that has a side pocket. The case makes it really convenient to carry the table top from one place to another.
- The built is a little fragile over the edges which demand extra care and upkeep.
- It is not for you if you are looking a professional play.
#5. Convertible Table Tennis Top
The high price is one of the first things that you will notice in this product. However, I suggest that you do not easily become discouraged. It comes complete with all the things that you will need. Aside from the top, it also has plastic spacers, balls, paddles, and even a carrying bag.
It is well-loved because of the versatility that it can offer as it can fit in any table. Whether it is a pool or dining table, you can use it.
Under the surface, there is a high-density foam. This cradles the main material to prevent sliding. This will also prevent scratches on the table where the top is laid.
The table top also comes with magnets, which will join the three equal parts. The magnet is strong enough for the partitions to stick properly.
- Has a tri-folding, space-efficient design
- Made of high-quality and durable materials
- Can fit on any table
- Easy to set-up and take down
- Comes as a complete kit
- Only a top cover for a table and not an actual table
Popular Types of Conversion Tops available on The Market:
There are a variety of table tennis conversion tops available in the market. These tops differ in size, built and the type of table they fit in. Here are some popular types that you can choose:
Pool Table Ping Pong Top
This type of conversion tops is an excellent choice for indoor game lovers who already have a pool table. They sit atop your pool or snooker tables and make a perfect table tennis table for temporary use. Befitted with a foam or felt topping underneath, these tables do not leave any marks or scratches on your table. Additionally, the connectors are wrapped in protective layers which prevent them from touching the pool table and causing any harm. The conversion top consists of a section of the table top that can be easily fitted on the pool table to create a perfect table tennis table.
Much like pool table conversion tops, dining table conversion tops help you make an instant table tennis table using your dining table as the base. These conversion tops are relatively less popular but a useful resource for those who love table tennis but have neither enough installation space nor a pool table. This type of table tennis conversion top comes in an easy to assemble setup and have a protective lining to prevent scratches & marks on the dining table; much like the pool table conversion tops. When you need to rejuvenate yourself with a quick game of table tennis, these tops are a great help.
When you love indoor games but enjoy some occasional outdoor play, you need a floating ping pong table. These table tops are made of the soft surface on the lower side but have a hard surface on the top that allows the ball to bounce. Originally made to float and offer you a chance to play over water, these tables are for recreation purpose and help you have fun with family and friends.
Reversible conversion top
One point solution to your various table tops need, the reversible conversion tops are perfect for extending your play area. These tops make an instant dining table top on one side and an offer a gaming surface on the other side where you can play cards, table tennis and more.
Things to Consider While buying Table Tennis Conversion Tops:
To ensure you make the best purchase, here are some considerations that you must keep in mind while buying conversion tops:
The size of the table, as well as the room, plays an important role in the selection of the best table tennis conversion top. You should buy a top that offers enough room for the players to run and serve. A standard size table tennis conversion top comes with dimensions- 108 x 60 x 30 inches. You can buy a smaller version as per your need. However, this size ensures that you have enough playing area equivalent to an official table tennis table.
The ideal thickness of a ping-pong table must be 3/4 inch. Ensure that you buy the same to have a more realistic gaming experience.
Examine the type of attachment used in the table conversion top and make sure they do not harm your expensive pool table at the time of installation.
- Sturdy built & stability:
It is important that the table has a sturdy base which sticks to its place when you are playing.
- Average Cost of Table Tennis Conversion Top:
Now that you are set to buy a conversion top, it is important that you know the average price of a quality conversion top so that the seller won’t rip you off. A standard size table tennis conversion top will cost you around $250-$350. There are some tops available at a higher price ($500 and above) but this is the decent price range to invest in.
Best time to buy a table tennis conversion top:
Table Tennis conversion top is heavy ticket item. If you wish to save money on this expensive purchase, the best time for shopping is during big winter sales when many sellers offer 30-40% discounts on table tennis conversion tops.
How color variant is helpful?
Traditionally, table tennis tops were either grey or green in color. Through the 90’s a lot of experimentation was conducted especially for television viewers. A recent research proved that some Europeans (Northern primarily) cannot distinguish between red and green. In order to sort this problem, International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) although had passed matt blue, yet they took a safer route of approving dark matt color.
There is no doubt that table tennis conversion tops are best when you want a quick fix for your gaming needs but lack enough space. They are inexpensive and save a lot of storage space. Ideal as a gift, these table tops can be bought as per the availability of table (pool or dining) and space. Keep the above-mentioned considerations in mind and buy the best table tennis conversion tops to play a match of table tennis.