Table of Contents
Last Updated on
To improve your skills, it is important that you invest in your own table tennis paddle. Make sure that it has superior quality as it can do a lot to up your game. Through years of playing, however, it could be prone to wear and tear. To keep it in its best condition, you need to learn how to clean ping pong paddle.
To know how to resurface ping pong paddle and bring it back to life, keep on reading and learn from some of the tips and tricks that we will be sharing below. You do not need to buy a new one. With the time and effort to spare, you can still salvage it. It is an easy task that you can do on your own!
The Importance of Cleaning Ping Pong Paddle
When your ping pong paddles are new, one thing that you will notice is that the rubber is tacky. This gives the ball more power upon contact, sending it off to the other side of the table. This rubber, through time, will become less sticky. The ball may not have a good hold and you can miss your shots, making it less powerful. For this reason, you need to clean table tennis rubber, as well as the other parts of the racket, including the handle.
Your paddle will also accumulate dirt and dust. This will make the surface inconsistent. This will have a dulling effect and will make the rubber prone to deterioration.
How to Clean Ping Pong Paddle
There are different methods of cleaning your ping pong paddle. You can choose one based on the materials available at home. Nonetheless, if you play professionally, take note that there is a specific requirement that you have to know about.
Based on the rules from the handbook of the International Table Tennis Federation, the paddle should not have harmful and volatile compounds, which is why you have to be cautious with regards to the materials that you will use for cleaning the paddle. Watch out for the table tennis rubber cleaner ingredients to be sure that you are doing things the right way!
Using a Sponge and Water
Using table tennis cleaning sponge and water is perhaps the safest method. To do this, here are the simple steps that you have to follow:
- Look for a small dish and fill it with distilled water.
- Dip a small sponge in the water. Squeeze the sponge so that you can take out the excess water. You would not want to soak the rubber with water as it can affect its quality. Water can penetrate the wood and can make it swell.
- Hold the racket’s handle and begin cleaning the surface. Run the sponge over the rubber and the handle, including the edges. Start from the bottom to the top. Work only in one direction to avoid spreading dust to the area that has already been cleaned.
- Turn the paddle and clean the other side.
- Let it dry. Put it back in the case to prevent contact with dirt and dust when it is not used.
Using a Rubber Cleaning Solution
A rubber cleaning solution is a commercially-available -product, which is often in the form of foam or spray. You have to choose wisely to be sure that there are no harsh ingredients that can cause deterioration of the paddle. They are stronger than water, making them tough of dirt and dust that have accumulated on the surface.
- To start with, give the paddle a quick wipe using a clean cloth.
- Apply the cleaning solution based on the instructions from the manufacturer. Spray it on the surface. If it is a foam, put a small amount and spread with the use of a brush with soft-bristle. Similar to cleaning with water, make sure that you do not over-saturate the rubber.
- Wipe it off with a paper towel or clean cloth. Allow it to dry before using or storing.
Some would prefer cleaning table tennis rubber alcohol because it makes the surface tackier. This is also strong enough to get rid of the dirt on the surface.
- Wet the end of the handkerchief with your choice of alcohol. Squeeze the handkerchief to avoid saturating the racket.
- Rub the handkerchief over the paddle starting from the top all the way to the bottom. Clean in a consistent motion. Do not forget to clean the handle and the edges as well.
- Allow the racket to air dry.
Use Olive Oil
This is one thing that might seem bizarre to some people, but olive oil ping pong paddle actually works in terms of improving the tackiness of the rubber. The key here, however, is to use just the right amount of oil. If you over-saturate it, there is a tendency that it will end up being slippery, which will be bad for impact with the ball.
- Put the olive oil in a dish.
- Dip a toothbrush in the oil. Make sure that it has soft bristles to avoid damaging the surface.
- Use the brush to scrub the paddle, making sure that all areas are covered.
- Wipe the excess oil with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Let it dry.
How to Clean a Ping Pong Table
If you also have a ping pong table at home, you also have to make sure that it is regularly cleaned. This will also have an effect on your game. To clean ping pong table, the simple steps that you have to follow
Knowing how to clean ping pong paddle is important for anyone who plays table tennis and who has their own racket. The steps are pretty much simple, as discussed above. You have to do it to make sure that the paddle remains tacky and in its best condition. When it is clean all the time, there is a higher likelihood that it will perform better, and hence, increasing the chances that you will win in your next game.