When it comes to playing ping pong, serving is one of the most important skills that you have to learn. You need to master the right techniques to make sure that the ball will hit the paddle and that you will be able to send it to the other side of the table with just the right amount of power. Sadly, this is not the easiest thing to learn.
If you want to learn how to serve in ping pong, read the rest of this post. We will provide you with a quick guide on how this can be done. We will briefly tackle some of the types of serve that you need to master to become a pro. Don’t be frustrated if you don’t get it on the first try! Remember, practice makes perfect.
How to Serve in Ping Pong
At its most basic, here are the things that you need to do when it comes to how you can serve in ping pong. Before we start with the discussions, it will help if you first watch the short video below:
- Open your hand and hold the ball while your palm is in a flat position. This is the legal serve. If you close your palm or clench your fist, this is going to result in an illegal serve.
- The next thing that you have to do is to throw the ping pong ball into the air. Based on the official rules of the game, you have to toss the ball at a minimum height of six inches. If it is lower, it will be considered as an illegal serve. You cannot just throw the ball and hit it with a paddle without tossing it first in the air.
- When the ball goes down, hit it with the paddle. Another important rule to keep in mind is that you are not allowed to hit the ball while it is tossed going up. Hit the ball only once it is already going down.
- Upon hitting the ball, see to it that it will land on your side first. If you send it directly over the net without bouncing on your side, this will again be considered as an illegal serve. If you are playing a single match, you can hit any side of the table. For doubles, on the other hand, you have to hit only on your side.
Types of Serve in Ping Pong
It is not enough that you know the steps in serving. You should also know the types of serves so that you will have an idea on how to do it:
- Short Serve: Under this type, the ping pong ball should bounce at least twice on the side of the opponent. This is a common serve among players who are on the offensive.
- Long Serve: In this case, the ball will bounce once on your side and once on the opponent’s side. To make it easier, make the ball bounce on your side with as much power as possible.
- Half Long Serve: In this case, the ball will bounce twice on the opponent’s side, but the last bounce will be on the edge and not the inner side of the table.
Tips to Keep in Mind
When serving, one of the most common goals would be being able to produce more spin, which will allow the ball to generate more power. In this case, if you would like to know how it can be done, watch the short video below:
More so, you also need to learn how to hold ping pong paddle the right way. Your hand must be comfortable and should generate the power that is required to send the ball to the other side. Before you master serving, you first need to learn the proper way of holding the paddle.
The right position of your body is also crucial when you are serving in ping pong. Your body should be angled at about 45 degrees away from the table. The right or dominant foot should be slightly farther than the other foot. You should also bend your knees while keeping your legs straight. You also need to bend your body forward so that you will have the right balance.
Another crucial tip to keep in mind is to see to it that your wrist is relaxed, which will allow it to produce the maximum spin.
If you want to get more spin, another thing that you can do is to toss the ball higher in the air. As noted earlier, the maximum height should be six inches. The longer it stays in the air, the quicker it will fall down. In turn, this allows the ball to spin more after striking it with the paddle.
At this point, I hope that you already know how to serve in ping pong. It is pretty much easy, but you have to be mindful of the rules of the game. Otherwise, it will be counted as an illegal serve. If you have the right serve, it will demonstrate the power that you need to stun your opponent and end up being victorious in the game!