Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Ping Pong Balls
- 2 Top Picks for the Best Ping Pong Balls
- 3 Essential Factors to Consider
- 4 Best 7 Ping Pong Balls Reviews
- 4.1 KEVENZ 3-star 50-pack Advanced Ping Pong Balls
- 4.2 MAPOL 50-pack Orange 3-star Ping Pong Balls
- 4.3 Xushaofa 40+ Seamless Poly Table Tennis Balls
- 4.4 MAPOL 50 White 3-Star Premium Training Ping Pong Balls
- 4.5 Nittaku 3-Star Premium 40+ Table Tennis Balls
- 4.6 TADICK Assorted 50-pack Ping Pong Balls
- 4.7 Brewski Brothers 144 Beer Pong Balls
- 5 Conclusion
Table tennis has the reputation of being one of the most popular indoor sports for a long time now. If you love this game, you need to invest in a number of things, such as a table and a paddle. More so, you will also need to have the best ping pong balls. These balls can easily get lost and damaged, which is why you need to have more than one.
In the rest of this post, we will briefly tackle some of the best products that you might want to consider, as well as the reasons why they are worth your attention. When these balls are used with the best ping pong paddles, you can expect superb performance in your next game.
Types of Ping Pong Balls
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, one thing that you need to do is to decide on the type of ping pong balls that will be perfect for your needs. In this case, the following are the choices that you will have:
- 1 Star Ping Pong Balls: For youth clubs and schools, this can prove to be a suitable choice for ping pong balls. Generally speaking, they are soft, and hence, they can be easily prone to breaking. They are often used for practices and purchased in bulk.
- 2 Star Ping Pong Balls: Similar to the one that has been mentioned above, it is also commonly bought in bulk. For non-match games, the quality will be more than enough. This is also known for being affordable.
- 3 Star Ping Pong Balls: This is the one with the highest quality from the three. It is the only one that is approved by the International Table Tennis Federation, which means that it has passed stringent measures to be used in tournaments. They can hold up for a long time and deliver an impressive bounce.
There are also some companies that market their product as 4 star ping pong balls or 5 star ping pong balls. Nonetheless, based on current regulations, all that is needed is for the ping pong balls to have a 3 star rating so that it can be used in matches.
Meanwhile, if you are going to opt for practice or training balls, expect that they will not have any rating at all. They can easily break. Most of the balls that fall under the one and two-star ratings can also be considered as practice balls. The same thing is true for novelty balls. Star ratings will not be necessary.
Top Picks for the Best Ping Pong Balls
In this section, we will identify some of the choices worth considering in your search for the best table tennis balls, as well as those that can be used for beer pong.
|Products||Weight||NO. OF PIECES||Prime||Rating|
|KEVENZ 3-Star 40mm||2.6 to 2.8 grams||50 pieces||Yes||4.9/5|
|MAPOL 50-pack Orange 3-star||2.7 to 2.85 grams||50 pieces||Yes||4.9/5|
|XUSHAOFA 40+ Seamless Poly||2.8 grams||Choose package||Yes||4.8/5|
|MAPOL 50 White 3-Star Premium Training||2.7 to 2.85 grams||50 pieces||Yes||4.5/5|
|NITTAKU 3-Star Premium 40+||2.67 to 2.77 grams||3 pieces||Yes||4.2/5|
Essential Factors to Consider
When trying to decide where to buy ping pong balls, these are some of the products that you might want to take into consideration.
- Material: The choice of material is an important consideration as it will be indicative of the durability and performance of the ping pong ball. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
- Celluloid: This is a material that is already considered as obsolete. It was introduced in the 1900s. This is the cheaper material, and more often than not, it also demonstrates inferior quality.
- Poly: This is a type of plastic that is used in ping pong balls. They are recommended by the International Table Tennis Federation, which can provide you with an assurance of its quality.
- ABS: Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, or ABS for short, is the newest material that is used in ping pong balls. It is known for being durable while also being economical in terms of cost.
- Size: In the 1990s, the recommended size of the ping pong ball is 38 mm. By October 2000, however, the rules have changed and it became 40 mm. Therefore, if you are going to use the ball for competitions, make sure that the size is 40 mm.
- Color: In most official tournaments, white and orange are the only colors that are acceptable. Therefore, unless the balls will be used for any other purpose, these are the only colors that you should consider. If it will be used for crafts and beer pong, among others, you will have the freedom to choose other colors.
- Seams: For balls that will be used for competitions, you should look for one that is seamless. This means that when you touch the balls, there should be no part that is protruding. This will allow it to have excellent bounce.
- Bounce: In line with what has been mentioned above, you also need to make sure that it will have an excellent bounce regardless of the surface where you will be playing. The more it bounces, the more power it will be able to demonstrate.
- Durability: This is one thing that will depend on the materials that are used. The material should not be easily prone to denting, regardless of the pressure that is applied. Even with repeated use, it must be able to hold up its shape. To make the ping pong balls last longer, here are some things that can be done:
- Pick up the balls as soon as they land on the floor. Otherwise, someone might step on it, and hence, it will break.
- Proper storage of the ping pong ball is also necessary. Keep it in a cool and dry place. It should not be exposed to the direct heat of the sun. Excess moisture should also be avoided as it can speed up wear and tear.
- Clean the ping pong balls after using. A simple way to do this is to wipe it off with a clean cloth to remove dust and dirt on the surface.
Best 7 Ping Pong Balls Reviews
KEVENZ 3-star 50-pack Advanced Ping Pong Balls
Kevenz has its own factory in China, a place where it manufactures and tests its ping pong balls to make sure that it does not only pass, but even exceeds quality standards. Before leaving the factory, the balls undergo a series of tests, which will help make sure of your highest level of satisfaction.
During the tests that are conducted, it was proven that it can withstand impact up to 1,000 times, which also shows how it can provide the best bang for the buck. It will take quite a while before the balls will ask for a replacement. Plus, it is available in a pack of 50, so you won’t have to buy just after a short while.
Through the table tennis hardness test, its ability to resist impact is determined. This means that even if you are an aggressive player, you can hit the ball with a lot of power without the need to worry that it will end up breaking into pieces.
The regulation weight of this ping pong ball is 2.75 grams. Compared to the standard balls that you can find on the market, this is slightly heavier. The main benefit of the latter is that it is thicker, and hence, it is longer lasting compared to its competing models.
Meanwhile, its regulation size is 40mm. The standard size of the ping pong balls is 38 mm. Since it is slightly bigger, this means that it will also be easier for you to catch.
MAPOL 50-pack Orange 3-star Ping Pong Balls
This is another option that is sure to never disappoint when it comes to durability. They are made of top-notch materials that will surely last for a long time.
More than the use of high-quality materials, I also loved how the balls come in a pack of 50, which means that it will take a long time before you will need to purchase another pack.
It has the standard 40mm size. With this, it can be used in regulation games without worries.
It also has a good bounce, regardless of the material that is used in the ping pong table that you will be using. This means that there is no need to exert too much power when hitting the ball, yet you can be sure that it is going to bounce off.
Lastly, if you want to have peace of mind, it is also good to know that it comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. You will have one month to try the product. If you are unhappy in any way, you can return it to the manufacturer and you will be issued an unconditional refund.
Xushaofa 40+ Seamless Poly Table Tennis Balls
If you are on the lookout for professional ping pong balls, this is another option that you should keep on your radar. They have a seamless design and is a popular choice amongst advanced players who have discerning preferences.
The main material that is used in the balls is poly plastic. It is safer compared to celluloid, which is the traditional material that is used in ping pong balls. It is also said to be more durable, although there are some reviews claiming otherwise, especially when the balls are subjected to heat.
More so, this is also a great product because it comes with a seamless construction. The latter means that you can enjoy better consistency and accuracy during your game. This also improves the way the ball will bounce. Through the elimination of the seams, the balls became even in shape, which positively affects its performance.
Lastly, it is also important to note that the balls have been approved by the ITTF and USATT. With these approvals, you can also be sure that the balls can be used for domestic and international competitions. They have passed the standards to be accepted for professional games.
These advanced training balls come in a pack of 50, and best of all, at a price that is surprisingly affordable. Despite having a practical price, it performs in a manner that is impressive, especially when it comes to its bounce.
One thing that makes this different from most of the ping pong balls available on the market is that they are thicker. This can also cause a slight increase in weight. This can be a drawback, but this can also be a good thing since it means that it is going to be durable.
These balls are also white in color, which means that they will be easy to see. While you might be worried that it can be easily prone to dirt, the good news is that cleaning it is going to be an easy task.
Similar to the balls that have been mentioned above, it also has excellent bounce, which will be indicative of impressive power.
The Nittaku ping pong balls come in a pack of three. This is quite more expensive compared to the options identified above, which are a set of up to 50. Nonetheless, the price will be worth it given its impressive features.
Among others, one thing that I like the most about this product is how it is made of high-quality and lightweight plastic. The conventional options are made of celluloid, which is a material that is quite inferior.
The unsurpassed roundness of the balls is one more thing that makes this an exceptional pick in a market that is teeming with alternatives. It has the perfect round shape that gives it a great bounce while also making it easy to control for the player.
Lastly, it should also be noted that the balls are approved by the ITTF, which makes it allowed to be used in international competitions.
TADICK Assorted 50-pack Ping Pong Balls
It is important to point out that unlike the five ping pong balls that have been mentioned above, this is a product that is not meant to be used for table tennis. Rather, this is for beer pong. It is thinner than those that are used in professional ping pong games.
The bright color of the balls is another good thing about this product. They can be used even in arts and crafts. They will make a great choice for a decorative piece. They can be great even for swimming pool games!
Brewski Brothers 144 Beer Pong Balls
With 144 balls in one pack, there is no doubt that this is able to deliver excellent value for money. You will have a lot of ping pong balls for your craft projects. Like the product mentioned above, this is not for table tennis. It is good for ping pong, but there are a lot of users who complained that it does not bounce that much.
These balls have a diameter of only 38 mm. This is as against those that are used in official table tennis games with a diameter of 40 mm. They also have a seam, which is the reason why the bounce is not as exceptional as those that are seamless.
If you are on the lookout for the best ping pong balls, keep an eye on the products that have been mentioned above. Whether it is for tournaments, beer pong, or even for arts and crafts, these products can prove to be exceptional choices. At the end of the day, make sure to decide on the basis of quality over price to choose a product that you will not regret buying.